All calls to the Michigan Poison Center are answered by physicians, nurses, pharmacists and other health care professionals with specific training in toxicology. Our call center staff serve the community by:
- Providing access to 24-hour emergency advice and information related to poisonings through our hotline service by calling 1-800-222-1222;
- Making follow-up calls to health care facilities and other callers with continuing poison-related needs;
- Providing health care professional education;
- Participating in national and state-wide surveillance of emerging public health risks, and poison-related trends; and
- Adhering to local, state, and national emergency preparedness initiatives.
Our call center staff provide confidential care management advice specific to each caller's needs at no direct cost to patients. Call center staff at the MiPC manage over 70,000 poison-related exposures each year. If you are having a poisoning emergency, or have poison-related questions call 1-800-222-1222 for assistance from one of our Specialists.